You can apply for the Tier 4 (Child) student visa if you’re aged between 4 and 17 and you want to study in the UK.
You should also
- have a place on a course
- have the consent of your parent or guardian
- have enough money to cover your course fees and living costs
- be from a country that’s not in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
- meet the eligibility requirements
How long will it take?
- You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.
- You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
- What you can and can’t do
- study at an independent fee-paying school (if you’re aged between 4 and 15)
- study at a publicly-funded further education college (if you’re 16 or 17 and you’re a fee-paying student)
- apply from inside or outside the UK
- apply to extend your stay
You can also work, if you’re 16 or over
- part-time during term for up to 10 hours per week
- full-time during vacations
- on a work placement as part of your course, (but not for more than 50% of your course time)
- as a student union sabbatical officer for up to 2 years
- study at a publicly-funded school
- get public funds
- take a full-time permanent job or be self-employed
- work as a doctor or dentist in training
- work as a professional sportsperson (eg a sports coach) or entertainer
- settle in the UK on this visa
- bring in family members (‘dependants’) – if your parents want to accompany you, they’ll need to apply for a Parent of a Child At School visa
Documents you must provide when you apply for the visa
- a current passport or other valid travel documentation
- 2 passport sized-colour photographs with your name written on the reverse side
- proof that you can support yourself and pay for your course – this will vary depending on your circumstances
- proof of parental or other legal guardian consent if you’re under 18
- your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test
- You’ll need to have a blank page in your passport on which to put the visa. You may also need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances.