In Primary, we run an activities programme that provides opportunities to extend the curriculum for our pupils and to offer them the chance to get involved in several different activities which are not normally covered by a traditional curriculum. Activities change every half term. Examples include:
Cookery lessons – we offer cooking lessons to all our pupils from Year 1 upwards, running 6-week courses to learn to cook a range of recipes from shortbread to bolognaise.
Music lessons – for our Early Years pupils we run Music Monsters, an internationally renowned music course that helps pupils develop important musicality, rhythm and explore different instruments. We also work in partnership with International Music School (IMS) and offer peripatetic music teaching everyday Monday to Saturday to 8.00pm most nights.
Out and about – at KMS we believe that teaching takes place outside of the classroom and is provides important opportunities for our children to learn and grow. As such, we take our children out of curriculum trips at least every half term.
Drama and creative writing – All our pupils write a 500-word story every year and we publish this in our primary novel. Our partners, IMS, then choose their favourite play and turn it into our primary musical, in which all the pupils act in and the successful writer becomes the Executive Director.
Science club – to support our STEM curriculum, pupils attend science club to develop their inquisitive nature and have fun in the lab.
Lunch time clubs include Games Club, Chess Club, Pokemon club, Gym club, Minecraft, football and Digital Leaders.
Additional School Activities
We work in partnership with several different organisations to ensure that we offer the very best opportunities to our pupils and that the experiences and teaching they receive during these activities is of the highest quality. The activities are designed in partnership with the pupils so that they reflect their needs and passions, and include:
- Musical Tuition – Monday to Saturday
- Drama – Monday Night http://shelleynorton.co.uk/
- Karate – Tuesday Night
- Ballet – Wednesday Night
- Mini Dragons – Wednesday Night https://sports-xtra.com/
- Production Rehearsals – Thursday Night https://imscardiff.co.uk/
- Music Theory – Friday Night
- Film club – Once every half term
- Radio Station – twice a week during registration
- Football - Seasonal
- Chess Club – Once a week during lunch time
- Gym – available for secondary pupils at lunch time and after school
- Self Defence – Resolve it support lessons each year
- Choir – twice a week during registration and additional Chamber Choir